grow with children

Saturday, September 23, 2006

"a blog is a nice idea... although jenny might be a better person to talk about motherhood... me and sudeep can talk about fatherhood... and i think that's not been talked about enough...", says Hany. Right. So let me think what is fatherhood.

When I thought of parenting, the absence of fatherhood struck me.

Father is not even an other, he is an absence in discourses of parenting. We can either start with creating a fatherhood or we can divide the existing motherhood experiences so as half of it becomes fatherhood.

I'll quote what Smrti says about their sharing of parenthood. "Sanjeev is back to painting. kuttiye valarthal is mutual. I take her with me and keep her in the creche on my way to university, San works till lunch time and collects her, she comes, eats and sleeps for 2-3 hrs, San gets back to work and by then I'm back and take her out for an hour or so. Yesterday she was with me in the department, becasue San had to go somewhere. It is not that easy a job, but because she is highly cooperative we manage somehow. Looking forward to the kuttiye valarthal discussion..."

Here is a concept of sharing.

Shall we problematize sharing?

In many cases, the burden and responsibility in child rearing are shared with conscious effort of democratic parents.Yet there are spaces to be filled and factors of less obvious to be considered. I feel while considering the way female figures are created phisically and socially, they ought to be given less responsibility of giving care to children.While determining the roles of the female figures and male figures involved, it is better to assign more on the part of male figures since they already lack the growth through ten yeara of pregnancy and the rest of breastfeeding experience (physically and mentally it contributes to the growth of a person into parent) and socally also they are not constructed as fitting into the care giving patterns.Personally, i give much of my life in care and need more time for developing other aspects(being a social being) than sudeep needs.waiting for responses...sreejitha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Prasad Pannian said...

This is a nice idea........In fact I am thinking of creating a parenthood in this virtual space..as I am left alone from my three sons.......and from the only feminine element for four of us!!!!!! I dont desire nor want you to know the depth of my parental predicament!!!Still call me a Great Papa....I like it .....will meet you soon....

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home